Sunday, July 3, 2016

Second week in the U.S.!

It is so fast! In one week I will be in Chicago. I am going to make the summary of my second week in the U.S.

Africa vs USA or Community vs Individualism.

My apologies for some comments which could be considered generalist. I am in Bloomington; a city which doesn't reflect for me all aspects of the United States.


If there is a word that has a very deep meaning in the United States, it's liberty. It’s expressed through human diversity. All communities are present here and live in the respect of each other. This respect is made possible by strong laws that penalize any marginalization of individuals and ensure respect for fundamental rights. So I'll let your imagination make the illustrations.

We share many common issues: violence especially against women, gender disparities, marginalization of people with disabilities, 

The laws of the United States are based on the fact that the individual is central and his dignity must be preserved.

I like to say, in my home country I am a "Sy" before being Mamadou. Our societal organization is based on the community and the individual is only a link in a setting that defines his relationships.

This week helped me understand more the deep differences between our societies and especially the different looks we wear.

The principle of individualism has the same roots than capitalism. If some of its facets are mandatory, others require reflection.

So I always ask myself what is true. Is it fixed and rigid? or is it a consensus which can change over time and space?



Mandela Washignton Fellow 2016
mamzdu@hotmail.fr

No comments:

Post a Comment